Setting up a new mod
Please Note: If you plan to make a mod, only add/change assets in your mod folder and not in the main game folder, as they don't get shared with others if you upload the mod. Also if you want to replace existing assets just make a copy of the same file in your mod folder with the same name and the game will load this one instead of the original one if your mod is activated. See mods as additiv on top of the game.
Setting up a new mod is rather simple:
Navigate to the folder where you have installed the game.
In the game folder open the ./mods folder.
There you should find a zip file called "basicMod.zip"
Extract this zip file into the mods folder and rename the folder (Should be called ./basicMod) to the name of your mod.
Important Note: Rename the "_mod-info.json" into "mod-info.json" in the root folder of your mod or it will not show up in the list.
Optional you can make the changes manually. See the structure below.
Now to make new files you need to have the same folder structure the main game has so add this folder first in your new mod folder:
What goes where
See list above to understand where to put what files afterwards
- The character definition files go here
- The enemies definition files go here
- .anim files for the main menu go here
- .anim files for the objects go here
- .anim files for the special fx go here
- .anim files for the ui elements go here
- .anim files for units go here (enemies and characters)
- All objects go here. See here for naming rules: File_names_for_objects
- All light brushes go here (png)
- All menu related gfx here (Intro/logo and the character portraits etc)
- All animation sets go here (Animation Sets
- All Special fx related pngs go here (Special FX)
- All tilessheets goe here. (Tilesets)
- All UI related assets go here (map etc)
- All player related animation gfx go here (Characters)
- All the enemy animation pngs go here (Enemies)
- All your mapfiles you make with the editor should be saved here. (Map Editor Overview)
- Definition json files go here. (Items etc: How to change and add Items and other things)
- The Music goes here (Music and Sound FX)
- Die particle pngs go here. (The are png of the die frame that will be used to calculate the disintegrate effect when someone dies)
- Sound fx here (Music and Sound FX)
- Store the default squads here.
- All the ingame dialogues go here. (How to write a dialogue)
- pngs of your tutorial texts you want to show ingame to help the player to get into your mod.
Activating the mod
Important:As next step you need to rename the "_mod-info.json" into "mod-info.json" and fiill it out with the information you want. (Presume that you have extracted the zip file provided.) If you make it manually copy over the "mod-info.json" from the game mode + mod and change it as you need.
If you have extracted the basicMod.zip instead of manually setting it up, just open the mod-info.json and change the entries to match your mod.
Now that you prepared the mod it is time to activate it. Start the game and go to the option panel. In the option panel you should find now the newly named mod of yours. Check the box next to it.
You are done. Each time you start the game or play the game from the editor your mod will be used additionally to all other mods you may have activated.
On Steamworkshop you can find a mini mod with new assets and a new progress to tinger with.
Search for "The Street". It shows quit well how you can make a completely different looking game